Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunday - Beef Stroganoff

This is a crock pot recipe!  So easy!  Even *I* didn't screw it up!
I served this with one of those steam-in bags of mixed vegetables.  Is that cheating?

hands-on time: 15 minutes * total time: 3hrs 15minutes * makes 6-8 servings

1/4 c. all purpose flour
2lb. beef sirloin tips (I couldn't find tips, so I bought a sirloin steak and cut it into thin slices)
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper (freshly ground)
2 T. olive oil
2 medium onions (I used shallots)
2 8oz pkgs. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 1/2 c. beef broth (I used a bullion cup with water to make broth)
2 T. tomato paste
1 T Dijon mustard
1 1/2 c. sour cream
Hot cooked egg noodles
chopped fresh parsley (optional - I didn't do this.  does anyone really do this? Srsly.)

Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; dredge in flour. Heat in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add oil.  Add beef; cook 7 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Transfer to greased (I sprayed my crock pot with Pam) 5qt. slow cooker.  Add onion and mushrooms to drippings in skillet; cook, stirring often, 3 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, combine broth, tomato paste, and mustard. Add broth mixture to skillet, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet.  Pour over beef in slow cooker.

Cover and cook on LOW 3 hours or until beef is tender. (I left mine in about 4 hours, as that made it ready right at dinnertime.  My beef was still fork-tender.)  Just before serving, stir in sour cream and serve over noodles.  Sprinkle with parsley if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment