Sunday, January 23, 2011

Saturday - Chicken with Wine Mushroom Gravy

This is a crock pot recipe.  I *heart* my crock pot.  I feel like even a cooking idiot like ME can't screw up a crock pot recipe.  And the best part of this recipe?  You get to open a bottle of wine at lunchtime!  (Ok, just for the recipe... although I won't tell if you "sample" a swig JUST to be sure it tastes alright.)

I served this chicken over brown rice.  I also served green beans (from a microwave steam bag) and dinner rolls. 

hands on time: 15 minutes * total time: 3hrs 15mins * makes 6 servings

6 skinned and boned chicken breasts (I only used 4 - as there are only 4 of us in my family)
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 T. olive oil
1 8oz pkg sliced fresh mushrooms
1 large shallot, minced
1 c. dry white wine
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 c. sour cream
2 T. chopped fresh parsley (I skipped the parsley)

(I skipped this entire step and put my chicken in the crock pot FROZEN... I know!  I'm such a daredevil!  This *did* mean that I left everything in the crock pot for about 4 hrs instead of 3)
1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet, cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.  Place chicken in a lightly greased 5 qt. slow cooker.

2. Add mushrooms to skillet, saute on high heat 4 minutes or until browned.  Add shallot; cook 1 more minute.  Whisk in wine and soup until blended.  Pour mushroom mixture over chicken.

3. Cover and cook on LOW 3 (or 4 if your breasts are frozen) or until chicken is done.  Remove chicken to a serving platter.  Stir sour cream into juices in slow cooker.  Spoon over chicken.  Sprinkle with parsley.

Enjoy! - Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment