Saturday, January 29, 2011

Baked chicken -- saturday

Ok I'll admit that I really use my crock pot a lot.  I usually can find 30 minutes in the early afternoon to prepare a meal.  But between 5 and 6, my children like to lose their ever-lovin' minds... and it's more challenging then.  So we'll be cooking in the crock pot this week a few times!

Baked chicken.

you'll need:
a whole chicken.  they are cheap.  that's good.
2 lemons
an onion
some garlic
a bit of white wine
salt and pepper
some chicken broth

Cut the lemons in half and cut off the ends.  Set them in the bottom of your crock pot.  Same with the onion.  Put a dash of white wine and about half a cup of chicken broth in there as well.  Rinse your chicken, remove the disgusting part inside, sprinkle with salt and pepper and put it on top of the lemons and onions.  Put crock pot on high for about 45 min and then switch to low for about 3 hours, or until your chicken is done.  It will fall to pieces.

I make mashed-potatoes in a box (Like Idaho Spuds) and then make gravy with the chicken drippings.  I usually open a fancy can of corn or something like that.

How to make gravy:  chunk some butter in a saucepan and melt it.  Add some flour.  This is called making a roux.  It will be like a paste.  Then add some of the drippings and some chicken broth. (the drippings from this  dish will be rather strongly flavored, so I cut it with plain chicken broth.) Bring to a boil and it will thicken up.  It takes some practice.

1 comment:

  1. OK! I'm going to unearth my crock pot, which I always forget about.

    ReplyDelete