Thursday, January 6, 2011

Friday--Pain de Viande (a.k.a. Meatloaf) and twice baked potatoes

Twice-Baked Potatoes (T-BP)
Buy some pre-made t-bp's.  You find them next to the frozen french fries at the store.  Our favorite is from Costco and comes in a box of 8.  Bake according to directions...duh!

Granny Nelle's Meatloaf Pain de Viande
Meatloaf gets a bad rap because of the name.  It is really quite tasty!  My meatloaf turns out different everytime.  I just tell my hubby we are trying a new version, since I tend to just dump some stuff in a bowl.  Here's my latest version:

1 cup breadcrumbs (I have also used panko, crushed saltines, dried bread, crushed Ritz crackers and toast.  Use what you have!)
3/4 cup milk
1 lb ground beef
1 egg
3 TBSP Worchershire (eyeball-add what looks like the same amount as the size of your egg)
1/2 grated onion or 1 tsp onion powder (see notes)
1/2 tsp sage
salt
pepper

shot glass size of brown sugar
shot and a half of ketchup
dash of mustard

Pour milk over breadcrumbs.  Add meat, egg, worchershire, onion, sage, salt, and pepper.  Mix with your hands.  Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with Pam.  Shape meat mix into a flat loaf.

Mix brown sugar, ketchup, and mustard.  Spread on top of loaf.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour.


Grated Onions
My hubby hates onions.  If I use them, they have to be hidden.  So, I grate them on the large grater.  He never knows!  Here's how it looks:

grating the secret onions

It always makes me cry

Topping...nothing is measured

Pre-baking...I like lots of crust

3 comments:

  1. Would you believe I have NEVER made meat loaf?

    Never ever!

    But you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita--I changed the name to the French translation of "meatloaf". It makes it sound tasty and gourmet. What did you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary loves meatloaf. In fact he loved Granny Nelle meatloaf. I should have learned the new NAME for it earlier. I don't know why I never make it, I think my boys didn't like it? I purpose to make some meatloaf before SPRING! I am glad to see that someone in this group "measures" like I do. Gary has forbidden me to use the word, "Dump" in a kitchen/food context, but I always forget and say it anyway.

    ReplyDelete