Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Easy Fake Lasagna

“LASAGNA” Casserole
OK, girls. I don’t have measured amounts listed, so usually it’s just the standard container size or whatever I can find in the fridge, or according to the phases of the moon, or even left up to YOUR own preference. If you like tons and tons of cheese, and are wanting to put an extra inch on your thighs…harharhar…or if you like more pasta for your kids, or you are in a gooey or a salty mood…
I mean, don't you hate the measuring part? Measuring is for lumber, quilt-making, and chemistry lab. Oh, well, I hated measuring in chemistry lab, too..."If a little is good, wouldn't more be better?...or "Hmmm, why is this taking SO long, must need more Sulfuric Acid". Anyway, back to lasagna...

Ingredients:
• Ground beef *brown and drain*
• Jar of Favorite Ragu/Prego type Spaghetti Sauce (I like to use Traditional or with MUSHROOMS, but use a real vegetably kind if you want to be real vegetably.)
• Grated Mozzarella Cheese, also Parmesan if you want
• Any type of flat, BITE-SIZE Pasta (I like BOWTIE or fluffy dumplets). *Start your H2O boiling first thing* Cook it, don't overcook it. Drain. This is the best part of the FAKE lasagna. Easy for kids to eat!
• Ricotta Cheese OR, and this is weird, but I PROMISE, it’s really good, COTTAGE CHEESE. No kidding. You can use the Ricotta cheese if you are of Italian lineage, but I kind of like the texture given by the cottage cheese. If you are brave and opt to use the cottage cheese, I like the small curd.
• 1 Egg, SALT, PEPPER
• Very important optional SECRET INGREDIENT…remember your leftover spinach? Throw some in a pan, steamer, or in the microwave in a covered glass container and lightly steam it. You can sneak it in as one of the layers so your family will eat SOMETHING GREEN!


1. Mix Ragu in with browned, drained HB meat. This is the BOTTOM layer. You can do 1 set of layers, or 2 sets of thinner layers. I usually do 1 set of layers, and use 2 pyrex containers, one to bake and serve that evening, and another smaller one to layer, cover, and place in the freezer for another day.
2. Mix RICOTTA OR COTTAGE CHEESE with EGG & SALT and PEPPER. Again, you decide how much. I love lots of salt and pepper. This layer is 2nd to bottom.
3. Layer of steamed SPINACH. Actually, you can hide this layer ANYWHERE YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH IT.
4. Cooked PASTA layer
5. Lots of MOZZARELLA layer on top. You can sprinkle on some Parmesan if you want.

I think I usually cover it so the top layer doesn't get crusty, but be careful about covering too tight, or cheese will stick to cover. Place this in 350 oven and bake until bubbly! If you made a 2nd container, cover it tightly and freeze. I have used this recipe since 1978. I realize most of you WERE NOT EVEN BORN THEN! This is the only meal for which I have ever bought cottage cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment